According to some people (especially in the pro-life movement and Kristen Walker, author of this article, you can find the original article here), Kate Walsh deserves to be vilified, hated, have foul names heaped upon her, and generally disregarded as a human being. A few short months ago I might have supported such a view and maybe even heaped a few names on her myself. Fortunately God got a hold of me and said, “What are you doing? Didn’t you understand what I said in Psalm 1 when I said you aren’t to stand in the way of sin?” I didn’t, and as I prayed over not only that Psalm, but every word of God that has been shown to me, I began to have an inkling of what it means. I don’t have a full understanding, but here are some of the things I’ve come to understand.
- Standing in the way of sin means to prevent others, presumably by force, from committing them.
- As individuals we are not to stand in the way of anyone doing as they wish. God will deal with us all in our due time and we can only stand or fall for our own actions. Kate Walsh is no exception. With the world (those who reject God) already condemned, we have no right to call her – or others – vile names, insult her, or try to be condemning. Calling sin sin is not condemnation but truth. Telling everyone she is going to hell – though while true as long as she remains unrepentant and unsaved – is not only condemning, but more than likely to distance her even more from God because of the actions of those who claim to be His disciples. She isn’t our enemy anyways. Ephesians 6:12 makes clear who our enemy is: For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Pray for Kate Walsh, show her love and mercy so that she may know God as we know Him.
- No matter how much love and good intentions we put into laws, it won’t stop crimes from being committed. Look at the failed War on (some) drugs. It has done nothing to help anyone. It is only making criminals out everyone instead of treating them. It’s not stopped murders, rapes, incest, or anything else we have laws against. Look at drunk driving in any country. Despite laws, and even cultures that embrace responsible drinking, people still act irresponsibly. They still break laws and commit sins. No amount of laws passed will stop that.
- Matthew 5:42-48 states “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren[c] only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors[d] do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect., and from Romans 12:17-21 Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. Therefore “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. it seems quite clear to me that the best way to “stick it” to the pro-choice crowd, if you want to think of it that way, is to show love and compassion, preach the word of God, and pray for them. Let’s quit with the vitriol and hate.
- There certainly seems to be some who have not heeded Christ’s teaching on this. I know I certainly still need practice. The condensed, Reader’s Digest ™, version is this: By hating we are committing murder in God’s eyes. If we hate Kate Walsh, and in God’s eyes are just as guilty of murder, how can that not be a plank in our own eye which we don’t notice? Quit hating her. Definitely boycott her show, we are supposed to abhor what is evil, but don’t hate her. As an unbeliever she’s already condemned. Don’t put yourself in danger of hellfire just to soothe your outrage. Pray for her, love on her, preach to her. If she receives it, then it is to her gain and God’s glory.
- How quickly we forget that we were once like her. Unrepentant, God-hating, ugly little people. If David Berkowtiz (infamous Son of Sam killer) can repent, surely Kate Walsh isn’t so far gone that her heart has been totally hardened. Pray for Kate to repent and pray for the leaders of government and Planned Parenthood to turn away from this grievous crime against man and God.
That is why I love Kate Walsh. Not because I have any power to do so, not because I support abortion, but because God loved me while I was still a sinner, and offered His Son as payment for my sins. It seems to me that some of us have forgotten that.